E2 visa for Filipino Teachers in Korea

What is an E2 visa?

E2 visa is issued to those people who are teaching foreign language.


How to get it?

Being a native speaker is one of the requirements. For the past years, it has been limited to seven countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, Ireland, and United States. However last year (2015), Korea allowed four additional countries namely India, Malaysia, Singapore, and Philippines. (source: korea4expats.com)

Here are the basic requirements:

  • Notarized and apostilled copy of your degree
  • Criminal background check
  • Signed copy of your contract
  • Health statement
  • Photocopy of your passport info page
  • Passport photos
  • 2 sealed transcripts from your university
  • Curriculum Vitae

The requirements for the additional four countries are stricter than the seven countries.

  • They need to have a Bachelor’s degree in English studies or above.
  • They must have a teaching degree or license from their home country.

If you are qualified, here are the next steps to follow:

  1. Submit an E2 visa application to the Korean Embassy.
  2. Undergo a personal interview


Other options:

Besides having an E2 visa… there are other ways to be a teacher in Korea.

C4 Visa (Short term Employment)

You can apply as a teacher for summer camp or winter camp. This visa is only valid for three months.

D2/D4 Visa (Student Visa)

If you’re studying here, you can ask a permit from the immigration to teach during your free time.

D6 Visa (Missionary/ Religious Visa)

There are churches who hire English teachers for their church members.

E1 Visa (University Professor)

This visa is for those who are highly qualified to teach in prestigious universities in South Korea.

F6 Visa (Foreign Spouse)

If you’re married to a Korean, there are higher chances of being accepted in private schools.

Tourist Visa holders are not allowed to teach! You can’t just go here and apply in random schools. Your employer must process your working visa here before you go to the Korean embassy.

Do you have any questions? Read this first or leave a comment below.