How to be a good citizen?
- Stay at home.
- Be nice to the front liners.
- Don’t share fake news.
- Don’t romanticize COVID-19
- Help the people in need.
1. Stay at Home.
Staying at home will help us to protect ourselves from being exposed to the COVID-19 virus. In addition, if you’re are the one infected, it prevents you from spreading it.
Things to do at Home In the Time of COVID-19
- Share something positive. Are you an artist, a dancer, or a teacher? You may share your skills and knowledge online by doing YouTube Vlogs or Facebook Live. Most of the youth these days are even creating TiKToK dance covers to entertain other people.
- Educate yourself. There are so many available courses online. Try to learn something new. For example, you can study how to cook some dishes, how to play an instrument, how to speak another language. Everyone on this planet have the same 24 hours in a day. What do you choose to do with yours?
- Watch movies. Is there any movie you’ve never seen because of your busy schedule? You may also binge watch Kdrama. Where to watch Kdrama? Click here. Actually, you can also be productive while watching movies.
- Bond with your family members. Now that you’re all at home, it’s the perfect time to actually get to know more about them. In most households, people only meet during weekend. The adults are busy at work and at the same time, children are busy at school. Do activities together like having meal time.
- Exercise. Don’t let the closure of gyms stop you from being fit. Watch some work out videos on YouTube. They are absolutely free.
2. Be nice to the front liners.
Who are the front liners? These people are composed of medical practitioners like doctors, nurses, medical technologists, and other medical personnel. In addition, the uniformed men like the military and the policemen are also front liners; They help in public peace an order.
Front liners are not limited to medical and military people. There are also people who work in the groceries and drugstores. The drivers, delivery men, and even the garbage collectors are front liners too. Therefore, these are the people who work hard to serve us in this difficult time.
3. Don’t share Fake News.
How to be a good citizen? Don’t share fake news. First, sharing fake news do more harm than good. Second, it gives panic to people and it also promotes hate. It doesn’t matter which politician you support. You must check your sources first before sharing anything.
4. Don’t romanticize COVID-19.
Remember this scene from the movie Parasite?
The rich woman kept on saying that the rain was such a blessing without thinking what the low and middle class people experienced because of it.
It’s the same with those people who are romanticizing COVID19. Yes, we are producing less pollution and waste now but it has also killed lots of people. Not everyone is fortunate like you who can also stay at home and have enough supply of food for the family. Above all, we must check our privileges.
- This is not God’s Test.
- COVID-19 is not the universe giving us a time to reflect.
- This is a virus that’s attacking our health, safety, and economy.
- COVID-19 is not making the world a better place!
5. Help the people in need.
Government official or not, we can help people by being a volunteer. To begin with, we can help by donating cash. We can also donate some of our clothes and other things we don’t need. Moreover, we can also help by giving our time to help our barangay officials in packing relief goods.
There are many ways on how to be a good citizen in the time of COVID-19. I hope you choose to be one.Karla
How about you? Can you share some ways on how to be a good citizen?