Missionary Visa in Korea

Unlike other people who underwent the process of applying as an EPS worker, I had a different method in obtaining my job in Korea. I applied for a missionary visa instead of a working visa.

Actually, my boss guided me all throughout the process. We used e-mails to exchange messages about the requirements I need to prepare. It was July 11, 2015 when I got his first message.

In his first email, he mentioned that there are two conditions: I need a certificate of graduation from a Bible School and I need to be a church worker like a pastor or a deaconess. I did not graduate from a Bible School nor served full time as a church worker. The good thing is I’m active in church activities. I was able to provide them certificates from the seminars and workshops I attended from the church.

Missionary Visa in Korea.jpg

These certificates helped me a lot! I didn’t know that these will be useful when I got them after finishing two months of workshops. Treasure your certificates!


You are eligible to apply for a D-6 Religious Worker visa if :

  • you are dispatched to the related Korean religious organization or branch by the foreign religious body or social welfare organization.
  • you intend to engage in religious activities at Korean religious organizations while being dispatched from a foreign religious organization or social service agency.
  • you are willing to engage in missionary or social service activities upon the invitation of medical, educational, relief organizations run by your religious organizations.
  • you are practicing asceticism, training of your mind, or researching upon the recommendations of Korean religious organizations.

In his second email, he sent me the list of things I need to prepare:

  1. 2 pcs. Passport Size Photo (3cm x 4cm)
  2. Certificate of graduation (undergraduate school and/or graduate school)
  3. Certificate of dispatch
  4. Resume
  5. Passport (scanned photo)

All of the things mentioned above are easy to prepare except for the certificate of dispatch. I asked help from a Methodist pastor who is very close to our family. The letter of dispatch looks like this:

Missionary Visa in Korea 2

It must be signed by the District Superintendent and stamped by an official seal.

I sent all the original documents (diploma, certificates, pictures, and resume) to Korea. The only thing left with me is my passport. After few weeks, I received another email.

Missionary Visa in Korea 3.PNG

My visa was approved! The next step is to print the form sent to me by my boss. The form contains the Confirmation Number. After that, I went to the Korean Embassy to fill out a form for applying a visa and attached the Visa Application with Confirmation Number.

And that’s how I got my job in Korea. I developed English programs for the church members.