I’ve been to Gapyeong
four eight times. I went there last Winter, Spring, and Autumn. Yup, I skipped summer because it was too humid to travel. I guess this itinerary will sound legit since I’ve been there a lot of times.
Gapyeong has many tourist attractions. They have Zara Island (Jaraseom), Gapyeong Rail Bike, Nami Island (Namiseom), Petite France, and Morning Calm Arboretum. I’ve been to four of them.
Korean drama fans should definitely go there! Here are some dramas filmed in Gapyeong:
- Nami Island – Stairway to Heaven
- Petite France – Secret Garden, Beethoven Virus, & My Love From the Star
- Morning Calm Arboretum – Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Smile Again, You’re Beautiful, Dong Hae, & A Love to Kill
Here’s my proposed itinerary if you wanna visit at least three of them.
- 6:00-9:00 Travel time to Gapyeong Station
- 9:10 – 9:25 Gapyeong Station to Nami Island
- 9:25 – 12:00 Walk around Nami Island
- 12:00- 12:25 Take the ferry, and line up for the Gapyeong Bus
- 12:25 – 12:50 Travel time to Petite France
- 12:50 – 2:30 Walk around Petite France
- 2:30 – 2:50 Line up for the Gapyeong Bus
- 2:50 – 3:35 Travel time to Morning Calm Arboretum
- 3:35 – 6:00 Walk around Morning Calm Arboretum
- 6:00 / 6:30 / 7:30 Take the bus going to Cheongyeong Station
- From Cheongpyeong Station, you can take the train going to your place.
- Take the train going to Gapyeong Station. You can take the ITX (highspeed train) or the all stop train. The earliest train would be around 5:30 in the morning. If you’re on a budget, just take the all stop train.
- You can leave at around 6 am or 7 am as long as you’ll arrive at Gapyeong Station before 9am.
- Upon arrival at Gapyeong Station, line up at the bus stop for Gapyeong Tour Bus. You have to catch the 9:10 am bus. If you fail to catch it, the next bus will be 10:10am. But if you don’t want to wait, you can take the taxi going to Nami Island.
- I strongly suggest that you come on time to save money. The Gapyeong Tour Bus costs 6,000 won, and the ticket is valid for the whole day. You won’t need to spend money for taxis if you take that bus.
- You’ll arrive at Nami Island at 9:25 am. There are two ways to reach Nami Island: zip wire (38,000 won) and ferry boat (8,000 won).
- Be sure to be on the bus stop by 12:30 pm. I gave allowance because it takes time to line up in the ferry and in the bus stop. Even if you arrive there on time, if the line is long, you won’t be accommodated and you have to wait for another hour. If you plan to take the taxi from Nami bus stop to Petite France, it will cost you around 18,000- 20,000 won. If you’re on a budget, it won’t cost you anything if you take the bus.
- Don’t expect to watch some performances in Petite France with the alloted time. Just take some pictures for an hour and line up for the bus stop going to Morning Calm Arboretum.
- If you want to stay longer and watch some performances, just remove the Morning Calm Arboretum in your itinerary.
- The schedule of the Morning Calm Arboretum changes per season. During mid-March to November, it is only open until sunset. However, during December to mid- March, it’s open until 8pm. The bus going to Cheongpyeon Station leaves at 6:00, 6:30, and 7:30
Breakdown of Expenses:
7,000 won (300 pesos) T Money
6,000 won (255 pesos) Gapyeong Tour Bus
8,000 won (340 pesos) Nami Island Ferry Boat
12,000 won (510 pesos) Delicious Lunch at Nami Island
8,000 won (340 pesos) Petite France Entrance Fee
9,000 won (385 pesos) Garden of the Morning Calm Fee
Total: 50,000 won (2,130 pesos)